Sign Language Performances
Arts Access does not currently provide ASL services. However, we promote venues that do provide ASL by listing those shows and showtimes.
Arts Access, Inc. also provides contact information for interpreters we use regularly. While we do not endorse any of the interpreters listed, they do have experience in theatrical interpretation.
- Liz Belk, RID: CSC Interpreter, (919) 413-7480; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Catherine L. West, ASL Interpreter, (919) 397-7020; email@example.com
- Sarah Harrington, Interpreter for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing, (919) 795-2411; firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also reference the NC Division of Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing directory of ASL interpreters at http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dsdhh/directories.htm.
Scheduled ASL Performances:
The American Dance Festival is committed to providing equal access to performances for audience members of all abilities. ADF is pleased to offer sign language interpretation at each post-performance discussions for their 2012 season. Post-performance discussions allow audiences the rare opportunity to learn more about the dances and choreographic process from the artists and dancers themselves. For additional information contact email@example.com or 919-684-6402. For a printable, PDF version of these listings click here.
- Stephen Petronio Company, June 16, 8 pm at DPAC
- Keigwin + Company- June 19, 8 pm @ Reynolds Industries Theater, (Duke)
- Scottish Dance Theatre - June 23, 8 pm at DPAC
- Kyle Abraham/Abraham.In.Motion- June 27 @ Reynolds Industries Theater (Duke)
- Hubbard Street Dance Chicago - June 29 8 pm at DPAC
- Monica Bill Barnes & Company - July 2, 8 pm @ Reyolds Industries Theater, (Duke)
- Pilobolus on July 5 at DPAC
- Ragamala Dance- July 10, 8pm @at Reynolds Industries Theater, (Duke)
- Vertigo Dance Company - July 13, 8pm at DPAC
- Brian Brooks Moving Company - July 16 @ Reynolds Industries Theater, (Duke)
- Paul Taylor Dance Company- July 20, 8pm at DPAC
- Footprints- July 24, 8pm @ Reynolds Industries Theater, (Duke)
- Mark Morris Dance Group- July 27, 8pm at DPAC
The following theatrical groups have committed to provide ASL interpreting one performance of each main series production for the 2011-2012 season. For other theatre companies, you must make a request several weeks in advance.
- PlayMakers Repertory Company productions in Chapel Hill; generally the final Tuesday- the same day as audio described performances. $10 admission.
- Triad Stage at the Pyrle Theater of Greensboro; generally the last Tuesday of the run (with the exception of A Christmas Carol), with discount tickets ($12 vs $26) for deaf patrons, which must be purchased via the box office, not online.Their number is toll-free: 866.579.TIXX (8499)
Triad Stage 2011-2012 Season ASL Interpreted Performances
There is one sign language interpreted performance for each MainStage Theater production. Services are provided in partnership with Communication Services for the Deaf & Hard of Hearing of Greensboro. For tickets, call the Box Office at 336.272.0160 or 866.579.TIXX (8499) and ask for seating in the sign interpreted section.
2011-2012 Season sign interpreted performances
Ain't Misbehavin' – Tuesday, May 1, 2012
The Illusion – Tuesday, June 26, 2012
The Durham Performing Arts Center can provide sign language interpretation for guests with hearing disabilities. We ask that requests for this service be made 30 days prior to the event. Please contact us for more information on events that offer sign language interpretation.
The following performances are scheduled to have ASL provided:
June 10, 1:00 PM West Side Story
June 10, 6:30 PM West Side Story
May 20, 1:00 PM Wicked
Text captioning is generally not available, but some theaters offer ALDs; see our list of Triangle Theaters With Assistive Listening Devices. Generally, Arts Access has not arranged for the services above; rather they are listed here for your convenience based on information supplied to us. However, any theater or group wishing to hire a sign language interpreter or purchase an assistive listening device system may consult our list of Sign Language Interpreter and ALD Sources.