Sign Language Performances
Arts Access does not currently provide ASL services. However, we promote venues that do provide ASL by listing those shows and showtimes.
The City of Raleigh offers classes in American Sign Language! To see more information from their course catalog click HERE and search "ASL" under their activities section! Many local community colleges also offer great classes. HERE are examples of the classes that Wake Tech offers right here in the Triangle!
Arts Access, Inc. also provides contact information for interpreters we use regularly. While we do not endorse any of the interpreters listed, they do have experience in theatrical interpretation.
- Liz Belk, RID: CSC Interpreter, (919) 413-7480; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Catherine L. West, ASL Interpreter, (919) 397-7020; email@example.com
- Sarah Harrington, Interpreter for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing, (919) 795-2411; firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also reference the NC Division of Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing directory of ASL interpreters at http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dsdhh/directories.htm.
The following theatrical groups have committed to provide ASL interpreting one performance of each main series production for the 2011-2012 season. For other theatre companies, you must make a request several weeks in advance.
- PlayMakers Repertory Company productions in Chapel Hill; generally the final Tuesday- the same day as audio described performances. $10 admission.
- PlayMakers Repertory Company is pleased to bring back Open Captioning for selected performances on Saturday matinees throughout the Mainstage Season. For more information on this audience service and dates, please visit the event site.
- Triad Stage at the Pyrle Theater of Greensboro; generally the last Tuesday of the run (with the exception of A Christmas Carol), with discount tickets ($12 vs $26) for deaf patrons, which must be purchased via the box office, not online.Their number is toll-free: 866.579.TIXX (8499)
- American Sign Language Classes! The City of Raleigh will be offering a class this fall, starting October 2nd! To see more information from their course catalog click HERE and search "ASL" under their activities section! Many local community colleges also offer great classes. HERE are examples of the classes that Wake Tech offers right here in the Triangle!
Triad Stage ASL Interpreted Performances
There is one sign language interpreted performance for each MainStage Theater production. Services are provided in partnership with Communication Services for the Deaf & Hard of Hearing of Greensboro. For tickets, call the Box Office at 336.272.0160 or 866.579.TIXX (8499) and ask for seating in the sign interpreted section.
The Durham Performing Arts Center can provide sign language interpretation for guests with hearing disabilities. We ask that requests for this service be made 30 days prior to the event. Please contact us for more information on events that offer sign language interpretation.
Remember - YOU CAN ASK ANY THEATER TO PROVIDE ASL FOR A PERFORMANCE!
Text captioning is generally not available, but some theaters offer ALDs; see our list of Triangle Theaters With Assistive Listening Devices. Generally, Arts Access has not arranged for the services above; rather they are listed here for your convenience based on information supplied to us. However, any theater or group wishing to hire a sign language interpreter or purchase an assistive listening device system may consult our list of Sign Language Interpreter and ALD Sources.